Types of psychic readingEdit
There are many types of psychic readings practiced by those who claim to have psychic abilities. Although psychic readings might not incorporate the use of any tools, a professional psychic may have one or more specialized areas of expertise. Some of the more common readings include Tarot reading, palm reading, psychometry, aura readings, or astrological readings.
- Main article: Astrology
Astrology readings are a form of divination based on alignments of the sun, moon, planets and fixed stars. Astrology is an ancient practice and pre-dates many scientific methods of astral observation. Astrology does not require psychic ability.
Aura readings involve the observation and interpretation of auras. The “aura” is a field of subtle, luminous radiation supposedly surrounding a person. Aura readers claim to have the ability to see or sense this aura and interpret its meaning to the individual.
Cartomancy or Playing Card ReadingEdit
- Main article: Cartomancy
- Main article: Cleromancy
Cleromantic readings usually involve casting small objects and reading them by their position, orientation, and mutual proximity. There are numerous variants used throughout the world.Template:Citation needed
A distant reading, "traveling clairvoyance", or "remote perception" can be conducted without the reader ever meeting the client. This includes Letters, Telephone, SMS, Email, Chat and Webcam Readings.
Correspondence readings are usually done via letters, later emails and filling in special forms on Psychic websites. After submitting the question Client usually waits for hours or days for the answer to come. Because of no immediate connection between Psychic and Client this type of readings usually requires some attachment from the client's side, most commonly a portrait or a photograph of a person in question, as the Psychic needs something that would help establish stronger connection.Template:Citation needed
Telephone readings are live readings where both Psychic and Client hear each other by connecting via Premium Rate telephone line. In the last years, with restrictions on premium rate numbers, more common are pre-paid callbacks, in which case Client leaves his/her credit card details over the phone to an operator, after which gets a call on a specified phone number. Telephone readings became most popular with the growth of live advice TV shows as main means of advertising, and is commonly used by Companies rather than individual Psychics, due to high setup costs.Template:Citation needed
SMSTemplate:Clarify and Chat readings is a quick Question-and-Answer format of Reading allowing exchange of basic information between Psychic and Client.
Webcam Reading, or Video Chat Reading is the newest way of Psychic Reading allowing real time live connection between Psychic and Client. Client has possibility to see and hear Psychic, and can choose to be viewed, seen and/or type during the Reading. This means of connection is said to be the best after an offline private reading, as allows Psychic use all channels of connection with Client in real time.Template:Citation needed
Lithomancy and crystallomancyEdit
- Main article: Lithomancy
Lithomancy readings usually involve especially suitable gems or stones that are emersed in water, or tossed as a set and read by mutual proximity. Its origins are unknown, and there are numerous different methodologies used by various cultures throughout the world. A recently more common variant is crystallomancy also known as crystal gazing. Using quartz as a crystal ball it is stereotypically depicted as gypsy fortune telling.
- Main article: Numerology
Numerology is defined as the study of the occult meanings of numbers and their influence on human life. It is essentially a reading of an individual based specifically upon numerical values such as their date of birth, letters in their names, etc. Numerology can be used in psychic readings.
- Main article: Palmistry
Palmistry is another popular method of psychic readings, involving characterization and foretelling of one's future through the study of the lines, shapes, wrinkles and curves on the palm. Palmistry does not require psychic ability.
- Main article: Psychometry (paranormal)
Psychometry is a form of psychic reading in which the reader claims to obtain details about another through physical contact with their possessions. Psychometry readers often ask the subject for their favorite and most meaningful objects, such as wedding rings, glasses, car keys, etc., for the reading. The belief is that objects which are in close proximity to a person for extended periods of time hold some of that person's energy; energy which can be detected. This method has been used to try and locate missing persons.
- Main article: Runic magic
Runes are an ancient alphabet used for divining the future. The runes are cast on a mat to discern future events or path a problem or issue will take. Runes are also considered magic and are used for spells and incantations by some witches.Template:Citation needed
- Main article: Divinatory, esoteric and occult tarot
Tarot cards have been greatly popularized. Traditional decks are available in chain bookstores. New decks also frequently appear in New Age bookstores. Though not requiring psychic abilities, Tarot cards can be used as a psychic tool and Tarot readings are common at psychic fairs.
- ↑ Reading - Key Words Frequently Used in Parapsychology, Parapsychological Association (2010-04-14)
- ↑ Diane Daniel What's in the cards Just how well do the seers see? The Boston Globe (Calendar cover story cache 1999)
- ↑ Carmen Nobel Vision Quest The Boston Globe, April 10, 2008
- ↑ Karen Stollznow A Psychometry Reading The Naked Skeptic csicop.org, April 12, 2010
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Wendy Haskett Psychic Fairs Aim for Aura of Fun in Mind Reading LATimes.com, August 15, 1987
- ↑ Mario Varvoglis, Ph.D. Psychic ("Cold") Readings parapsych.org
- ↑ astrology britannica.com
- ↑ Belinda Whitworth, New Age Encyclopedia: A Mind Body Spirit Reference Guide, New Page Books; Revised edition (February 2003), p.34 ISBN 1564146405
- ↑ Jack, Alex The New Age Dictionary First Edition: Kanthaka Press:1976; Second Edition Japan Publications, Inc. Tokyo and New York:1990 (Page locations taken from Second Edition)--See definition of "Aura" page 14
- ↑ Huson, Paul (2004). Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage. Vermont: Destiny Books. ISBN 0892811900
- ↑ Template:Cite book
- ↑ Theodore Besterman, Crystal-Gazing, Cosimo Classics (November 1, 2005 - original 1924) p.6 ISBN 1596053887
- ↑ Besterman, p.3
- ↑ Andre Kole (Author), Terry Holley (Author), Alan W. Gomes Astrology and Psychic Phenomenon, Zondervan (March 1, 1998), p.75, ISBN 0310489210
- ↑ Spence, Lewis Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology, Part 2, Kessinger Publishing, LLC (February 1, 2003), p.754. ISBN 0766128172
- ↑ Robert Kessler, Tom Schachtman, Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI, St. Martin's Paperbacks (March 15, 1993) p.270. ISBN 0312950446
- ↑ Georgia Dullea Tarot Goes 'Po Mo' NYTimes.com, October 31, 1993